Special Course Registrations

Auditing a Class

The University offers students the opportunity to audit many of its classes. Students attending as auditors are expected to participate fully in the classes, but they do not receive grades or credit. The following guidelines and standards should be observed.

  1. Auditors must have met prerequisites either by credit or audit for classes being audited.
  2. The instructor of the course must allow enrollments on an audit basis
  3. Auditors should attend regularly and prepare for the class by fulfilling assignments. Auditors may be withdrawn from class for poor attendance or failure to follow appropriate classroom order and procedures.
  4. Auditors are not required to take examinations, participate in labs, or write papers, but instructors may allow auditors to do so with the understanding that the auditor's work may not receive the same amount of attention in grading and critiquing as that of credit students.
  5. An audited course cannot be converted into a course for credit after registration
  6. A student may change an enrollment in a class to audit up to the drop/add deadline. Students who change to audit are expected to attend the remaining class sessions.
  7. The following courses cannot be taken as audit courses or changed to an audit course during the semester:
    • ENGL-100 Basic Writing
    • ENGL-101 English Composition
    • ENGL-102 Western World Literature and Composition
    • ENGL-220 Advanced Composition
    • MATH-090 Elementary Algebra
    • Any computer laboratory class
    • Any studio art class at the undergraduate or graduate levels

Taking a Class Pass/Fail

Any student in good standing who has completed at least 62 semester hours may elect to take one course each semester on a pass/fail basis under the following guidelines.

  1. A pass/fail course cannot fulfill a required general education core course.
  2. A pass/fail course cannot be a part of the student's major, minor, or concentration.
  3. The instructor of the course must allow enrollments on a pass/fail basis.
  4. The course cannot be used as a repeat of a class previously taken.
  5. The total number of pass/fail courses taken must not exceed four.

A student may select the pass/fail option up to the withdrawal deadline each term. For questions regarding the withdrawal deadline, please contact the Office of the Registrar. To request this option a student must complete a pass/fail form and obtain the appropriate signatures before submitting the form to the Office of the Registrar. Once a student has decided to take a class pass/fail, the class cannot be changed back to on that is regularly graded. Note: While a grade of P (pass) does not affect a student's GPA, a grade of F is calculated into the GPA.

Registering for Independent Study

A student may engage in research or advanced study on an independent study basis in any academic discipline and earn between one and eight hours of credit. Permission to undertake an independent study project is granted on completion of an application (Available in the Office of the Registrar) and with the approval of the faculty supervisor, the dean of the school or the chair of the department in which the proposed study is to be completed, and the dean of the college/school in which the course is offered. The application for independent study must be on file in the Office of the Registrar prior to registration day. Coursework offered through regularly scheduled classes normally cannot be taken as independent study.

Registering for Internships, Practica, or Supervised Teaching

A student registering for an internship, practicum, or supervised teaching must have the approval of the appropriate school or department and must register for the class through the Office of the Registrar. The following definitions apply to these courses.

Practicum: An academic course designed to relate theory and practical experience. A practicum includes both classroom and work activities. A traditional letter grade is assigned based on a combination of academic study and on-site work responsibilities.

Internship: A course designed through an academic school or department to provide the student with a full-time work experience in a practical environment. Internships are arranged and supervised by faculty members and must be approved by the supervisor and the school or department prior to registration. A grade of satisfactory or unsatisfactory (S or U) is assigned by the University supervisor in cooperation with the work supervisor. (Internships for academic credit should not be confused with cooperative education experiences and internships arranged through the Office of Career Services.)

Student (Supervised) Teaching: Experience arranged by the director of Supervised Teaching through the Department of Teacher Education; required for all persons seeking Indiana teacher certification. The University supervisor and the school cooperating teacher consult in the awarding of a grade of satisfactory or unsatisfactory (S or U). (See course descriptions for supervised teaching experiences in the Course Descriptions section of the undergraduate academic catalog.)